Friday, 7 October 2016

Management Committee - (St Nicholas Kirk, Holm, Orkney)

 

 

Andrew Drever

Chairman

781307

andrew.drever@btinternet.com

Marlene Mainland

Secretary

781395

mmainland@btinternet.com

Athole Thomson

Treasurer

781376

athole@hotmail.co.uk

Erlend Flett

 

781315

Jack McIntosh

 

781352

Tommy Sinclair

 

781310

Sheena Wenham

 

Antoine Pietri

781488

st.nicholas.kirk@gmail.com

 

A brief history... - (St Nicholas Kirk, Holm, Orkney)

The St Nicholas Church and burial ground stands near the shore of Holm Sound, the eastern approach to Scapa Flow. The surrounding area, formerly known as Paplay, is rich in history. This was an area of high status in Norse times, and it was in Paplay that Earl Magnus’ mother, Thora, served a feast for Earl Hakon in 1117. The Church of St Nicholas is mentioned in 15th century documents, and until the 19th century was the sole parish Kirk of Holm and Paplay. Through the centuries there have been several buildings on the site and the present one was renovated in 1818. The last service of worship was held here in 1939, and then it was commissioned by the Army for use during World War2. When it was put on the open market by The Church of Scotland in 2009, there was a public meeting at which a management committee was formed to take responsibility for raising funds and acquiring the building. After a public appeal for funds it was bought by The Friends of St Nicholas in December 2009.

Saturday, 16 April 2016

Spring Clean - April 2016 (St Nicholas Kirk, Holm, Orkney)

New chairman - (St Nicholas Kirk, Holm, Orkney)


On Saturday 16th April, a group of trustees and Friends of St Nicholas met at the Ould Kirk in Holm to prepare the interior for the start of the visitor season. The group were also welcoming their new chairman, Andrew Drever, who takes the position previously held by the late Alfie Flett.

Alfie Flett was a co-founder in 2009 of the Friends of St Nicholas, a charity dedicated to the preservation of the redundant church of St Nicholas for free public use. It is now a secular building, with space available for displays and exhibitions during the summer months, and there is a small room containing information and photos from Holm’s past.

The interior of the main building is soon to be improved for public use by the repair of the boarded  windows, once more giving light to the interior, and enhancing the appearance of the Kirkyard in this scenic area.

St Nicholas opens again in May, and visitors to Holm Kirkyard can watch for the VESTRY OPEN sign if they wish to see the heritage display. There is a gallery of photos and further information at www.orkneycommunities.co.uk